Updated February 2014
Spring 2009 BA Graduate — A major in communication with an emphasis on mass media and a minor in political studies.
- Nearly a decade working as on-air talent in commercial radio with an emphasis on news and talk
- Award winning multimedia developer and management with concentration on web administration, web-based video production, podcast production, social media management
- In-field experience covering news conferences, conducting interviews, and writing and anchoring stories for broadcast
- Two-time Illinois Broadcasting Association award winner for best use of new-media, four-year nominee for best use of new-media
- Winner of an IBA Silver Dome for “The Council Roundup”,
Master of Arts in Communication Expected Spring 2014
Thesis details: Mainstream and Alternative Media's framing of Occupy Wall Street
Bachelor of Arts in Communication, May 2009
Mass Communications Major, Political Studies Minor
University of Illinois at Springfield, Springfield, Illinois
Associates of Arts in Liberal Studies, 2005
Lincoln Land Community College, Springfield, Illinois
COMMERCIAL MEDIA EXPERIENCE
Mid-West Family Broadcasting Riverton, Illinois --- 02/2006-Present
- On-air talent work for four commercial radio stations for the Springfield and surrounding market, including 970 WMAY, 92.7 QLZ, Alice @ 97.7 and 98.7 WNNS.
- Greg Bishop on 970 WMAY, the News and Talk of Springfield – Host of Bishop On Air from 9 to noon, weekdays. Morning drive news anchor and Springfield City hall reporter. Host of The Council Roundup, Wednesday mornings at 9am. Co-host of The Man Cave Fridays from 10 to noon. Among other current responsibilities; maintaining podcasts for WMAY.com and maintaining WMAY's various social media accounts. Previously: co-host for Davis and Company with former congressman Jack Davis (2007), co-host for a series of sponsored Let’s Talk programs (2007 – 2011), host and producer for Saturday Session with Bishop (2006 – 2013). Internship with news/program director Jim Leach reporting, writing, and anchoring stories (2008).
- Bishop on Springfield's Real Rock, 92.7 QLZ – Morning drive news, sports, and weather during The Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show and weekend disc jockey playing active rock music with social commentary Saturday from 6 to 10pm (2008-current). Co-host and producer for The Morning Freak Show (2006 – 2007).
- Bishop on World Class Rock, Springfield's Alice at 97.7, – Disc Jockey playing adult contemporary and alternative music weekdays from 7 to midnight and Saturdays from 2 to 5pm (2013-current). Morning drive weather and news (2007).
- 2009 and 2010, winner of the Illinois Broadcasters Association Best Use of New Media Silver Dome Award for a Medium Market (2009-WMAY, 2010-WQLZ). Nominated for Best Use of New Media (2011, 2012).
- 2011 Illinois Broadcasters Association Best Feature Programming for The Council Roundup; IBA Silver Dome Award winner
OTHER MEDIA EXPERIENCE
at the University of Illinois at Springfield
Teaching Assistant --- 01/2010-05/2011
- Under the guidance of Professor Mike Duvall
- One-on-one instruction with undergraduate students for basic video and field production
- Maintaining video lab equipment
Office of Web Services --- 07/2007-12/2009
- Part of the Chancellor's division, supervised by Sherry Hutson.
- Developed multimedia projects for various university departments with slide shows and videos.
- Acting administrator for Contribute Publishing Server utilized by UIS, organizing users, and managing permission requests.
The Journal --- 08/2008-12/2009
- Website developer and webmaster for www.uis.edu/journal, updated with the weekly publications from the University of Illinois Student Newspaper, advised by Debra Landis.
- Contributing columnist with examples attached; “State task force examines challenges facing African-American community” (October 1, 2009), “Springfield workers get an early Halloween scare” (October 15, 2008).
Research Assistant on "First of All, You Have to Care" --- 02/2009-10/2009
- The memoirs of Illinois politician Phil Rock, written with Ed Wojcicki.
- Helped gather biography information, verifying claims, and researching Illinois legislative history using house/senate journals, synopsis, and floor debates from the late 70s and early 80s.
The Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show --- 08/2009-2011
- Editing Producer Joe Stunts and other promotional videos.
- Videos available online at http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/g/Producer-Joe%27s-Freedom-Trip/175.html
MEDIA EXPERIENCE IN THE CLASSROOM
at the University of Illinois at Springfield
Mass Media Classes
- Video: Basic Video Production (SP08), Documentary (FA08), Basic Field Production (SP09); developed skills in portraying events using video and audio interviews.
- News Writing and Gathering (SP08); work on developing stories, effective leads, interviewing techniques, and feature article writing for several outlets.
- Writing for Public Relations (SP09); work to define publics, determine course of action for campaigns, writing press releases – all focused on the Emiquon Field Station.
- Teaching Assistant under Professor Mike Duvall for Basic Video class; working one-on-one with students to teach creative yet practical basic studio video production. (2010-2011)
Lincoln Land Community College --- 2002-2005
- 88.3 FM WQNA, The Edge: Caffeine with Bishop, Tuesdays 6 – 9 am; Music, news, and weather for the student radio station at the Capital Career Center in Springfield, Illinois.
- The Lamp, LLCC Student Newspaper; 2nd place in opinion for “PATRIOT Act Not So Patriotic” Illinois Community College Journalism Association. Article available upon request.
- The home page for on-air topics, articles, and essays written by Greg Bishop.
- Archives of past shows, mp3s, videos and more.
- Videos produced, filmed, and edited by Greg Bishop.
- Greg Bishop’s microblog used for regular social commentary and news feeds for live events from press conferences, etc.
- Available upon request.